Putting I.T. All Together
Viewing posts by thogan
I spent the weekend doing some database surgery on my DJango / Mezzanine site. The cause was pip doing something unexpected when i used the --target option. Instead of installing the updated version of Mezzanine in the specified target location, it nuked my existing installation in a different location and installed the new Mezzanine package in that directory.
In 2008, I began hosting one of my physical servers in a co-location facility to extend my home lab outside the limitations of a residential ISP. Since that time, I have placed servers in half a dozen datacenters around the U.S., and have built an infrastructure hosting a wide range of services. Now, at the end of 2013, I am decommissioning my co-located infrastructure and hosted services.
Lately I have been working on the writeup about my automated restore testing project. I have quite a bit of shell and python code to go over and adding it all to the single blog post was impractical. I wanted to be able to use snippets, but easily link to the full source in case the reader was interested. There is also a lot of structure there, so being able to see the directory layout would also be helpful to the reader.
To provide this, I sat down this weekend and wrote a DJango app to plug into my Mezzanine based site. The app is RepoBrowser, a simple filesystem browser that renders text files with syntaxhighlighter.
UPDATE: I took down RepoBrowser and will not be using that code any longer. I have moved most of my projects to BitBucket in an effort to shed workload related to operating my own services for code hosting. This post is being preserved, but broken links have been removed. There is no live version of RepoBrowser at this time.
Well, that didn't last long. It was just a month ago that I completed migrating my website off of Wordpress and into Plone. Now I have changed it again. The THogan.com site is now powered by Mezzanine, a CMS project for Django written in Python.